Major update of the Copernicus Emergency Management Service GloFAS is now operational
Since 26 July 2023 the major upgrade v4.0 of the Global Flood Awareness System (GloFAS) is operational and available on www.globalfloods.eu . This upgrade has large impacts on the GloFAS modelling results.
GloFAS 4.0: what’s new
GloFAS v4.0 introduces several major improvements to the system, including:
- Increased spatial resolution: GloFAS v4.0 has 0.05 degrees resolution (~5km), as opposed to all the previous GloFAS versions having 0.1 degrees resolution (~10km).
- An entirely new set of 0.05 degrees resolution input maps produced using the most recent research findings, remote sensing, and in-situ datasets.
- Major improvements to the open-source hydrological model LISFLOOD.
- A new hydrologic model calibration with nearly 2000 in-situ gauging stations. Furthermore, a parameter regionalization was performed to estimate the parameters of catchments for which in situ discharge observations were not available.
- New return period thresholds and snow water/soil moisture anomaly maps based on a climatology from 1980 – 2022. The GloFAS v4.0 river discharge climatology is available at the C3S Climate Data Store.
- Updated GloFAS Seasonal forecasts using the newly calibrated, higher resolution hydrological model
- Increased spatial resolution from 1km to ~90m (3 arc secs) for the flood hazard maps used in the GloFAS rapid flood mapping and impact assessment.
More information about all the improvements introduced in version 4.0 of GloFAS can be found on the dedicated wiki pages.
How to access GloFAS v4.0 and data availability
All users can access GloFAS version 4.0 through the GloFAS Map Viewer. GloFAS v3.5 will be maintained in parallel until approximately December 2023. Users requiring longer access to GloFAS v3.5 should contact email@example.com .
As usual, GloFAS v4.0 data are published in the C3S Climate Data Store. Please note that while GloFAS v4.0 real-time forecasts and historic river discharge and GloFAS v4.0 real-time seasonal river discharge forecasts are available for download, reforecasts and seasonal reforecasts of GloFAS v4.0 river discharge will be made available in the coming months.
How you can help?
Your feedback on the new operational release is greatly welcome! Address your questions and feedback to the CEMS Floods team via the GloFAS contact form.
By Peter Salamon July 26, 2023, 5:01 p.m.